Home » Self-Assessment Essay

Self-Assessment Essay

At the beginning of this semester, I was confused. I knew I wasn’t a bad writer, but if you asked me was good about my writing, it would take me a while to give you an answer. So I decided that throughout the semester I would establish what I was good at and what I could improve in. And looking back at my work and experiences, there are 2 things that I improved in. The first thing I improved it  was Course Learning Outcome 2, “enhance strategies for reading, drafting, revising, editing, and self-assessment.” Even before I improved, I knew that I had a tendency to repeat things that weren’t necessary to add things to pad the word count. In order to stop myself from doing that I would say what I wrote out loud. This helped me because saying it out loud made my mistakes for obvious. It also made by writing more natural as I wrote whatever felt easier to say out loud. The second thing that I improved in was Course Learning Outcome 7, “practice using various library resources, online databases, and the Internet to locate sources appropriate to your writing projects.” Having to research and find my own article or study for an essay was annoying at first. I just couldn’t seen to find what I was looking for despite having my search pulling up many search results. Then I found out that you could get more accurate search results by putting quotation marks around what you are looking up. I tried it myself and after seeing how truth it was, I used it whenever I could, especially for the Scientific Rhetorical Analysis and the Scientific Controversy Paper. While I am happy with how I have improved as a writer and researcher, I will strive to improve in my writing to the point where I can confidently say that I have achieved all 8 Course Learning Outcomes.